The National Service Scheme (NSS) is an Indian Government sponsored public service program conducted by the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India It was launched in the Mahatma Gandhi Centenary Year 1969. It aims at allowing students to actively contribute their services to the cause of community and the nation helping them develop their personality creating responsible citizens committed to national service through social work.
The vision is to build the youth with the mind and spirit to serve the society and work for the social uplift of the down-trodden masses of our nation as a movement.
The National Service Scheme has been functioning with the motto “Not Me But You” in view of making the youth inspired in service of the people and hence NSS aims Education through Community Service and Community Service through Education.
Aims and Objectives
- To understand the community in which students work and their relation to their community.
- To identify the problems and basic needs of the community and to find the measures to overcome the problems and fulfil their needs.
- To develop a sense of civic and social responsibility among them
- To relate and apply their education for finding out the solution to solve the problems of the community.
- To create competence for group living and sharing responsibilities
- To develop leadership qualities and democratic attitude
- To make volunteers aware of national integration.
- To practice national integration and social harmony
- To develop capacity in volunteers and youth of the society to meet emergencies and natural disasters