The Department of English is one of the prestigious and largest departments of the college both in terms of efficient faculty and the variety of courses it offers. The Department has been playing a significant role in educating and empowering the students for more than half a century. The Department also has a literary society that aims at developing critical thinking among students of literature to enable them to become good researchers. Literature being a cultural product of society offers insight into the complexities of the socio-political affairs both at local and universal platform and in doing so it not only exploits the language but also helps to become good human beings. The Department focuses on providing an overview of literature from aesthetic, linguistic, socio-political and cultural context. It has latest teaching aids and equipment’s such as Language Lab, Smart Board, and Internet Facility along with Over Head Projectors etc. to facilitate learning as well as teaching. The Department has the credit of organizing National Seminars, Panel Discussions, Extension Lectures and other need-based activities for the overall development of the students. Along with traditional degree courses it also offers different courses:
- To provide appropriate pedagogies – including class size – and environments (classrooms, equipment, resources, and technology) that will lead to student retention and success as well as an increase in the number of majors and minors.
- To help students see themselves as professionals, as part of a discipline with skills and abilities valuable in the business, teaching, publishing, or post-graduate work.
- To give students a sense of themselves as citizens of a larger community by encouraging participation in service learning and in diverse and international course work and programming.
- To balance the needs of general education – communication, diversity, global perspectives, interdisciplinary studies – with those of the major.
The English Department helps students build knowledge of the content and methods of literary studies. English education, and academic, professional, and creative writing. It also provides General Education courses in Communication (CS, CA), Humanities and Fine Arts (Coursera and BEC Online Certificates). In addition, our faculty is committed to an interdisciplinary approach to knowledge, evident in their involvement in programs such as International Studies, and Environmental Studies. Our graduates are well prepared for professional and graduate study and for lifelong learning. They pursue careers in education, research, business, law, government, and publishing. The Department’s policies and its reading- and writing-intensive curriculum demonstrate our commitment.
Graduate Programs in English
- Maintain a curriculum and examination structure that insures advanced study in language and culture.
- Allow students to learn relevant literary and social history as well as acquire training in careful textual analysis.
- Strive by example, precept, and encouragement to enable students to improve their research writing skills, to apply these skills professionally outside the classroom and to become publishing scholars
- Prepare students to become effective teachers, equipping them to teach composition and literature courses at the college, university and advanced secondary-school level, and assisting them to develop their teaching potential through experience tutoring in the Writing Center, teaching composition and assisting in the teaching of language courses in the department
- Support scholarly development of the faculty and students by promoting teaching that bring faculty and students together inside and outside the classroom to work on pedagogical and scholarly issues of mutual interest
- Strive to assist students in finding professional employment that makes effective use of the skills and knowledge acquired in their training, both inside and outside the academic community